Did you know that sugar has the same effect on the brain as cocaine and the addictive qualities?
Did you know that sugar is BIG business and is hidden in most prepackaged foods you find in the grocery stores?
PLEASE do NOT fall for the marketing messages on labels and advertisements that say “healthy”.
Read labels and watch for ingredients that end in “ose”. That is sugar. Sucrose is refined sugar and fructose is the naturally occurring sugar in fruits.
Dr. Mercola shares some interesting FACTS about sugar consumption:
- In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.
- In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.
- In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.
- In 2009, more than 50 percent of all Americans consume one-half pound of sugar PER DAY—translating to a whopping 180 pounds of sugar per year year!
That is a lot of sugar! What damage is sugar causing in the body?
- The body has to work very hard to balance blood sugar levels, and this can lead to adrenal fatigue. Depression, fatigue, immune deficiency, allergies, and digestive issues are a few of the ailments.
- Sugar causes inflammation in the body which leads to osteoporosis, certain types of cancers.
In addition to increasing the risk of cancer and gastrointestinal problems, sugar can also:
- Cause reactive hypoglycemia
- Interfere with your absorption of protein
- Cause food allergies
- Hamper weight-loss
- Feed inflammation in the cells, suppressing immunity
- Increase cholesterol
- Accelerate the aging process
- Increase anxiety and makes you moody
- Complicate ADD, ADHD, and spectrum-related issues
- Weaken eyesight
3 ways to ditch sugar:
- Eat high protein meals
- Eat foods that are rich in B vitamins
- Drink coconut water
Here is a link to my Ditch the Sugar webinar replay from last week. I shared some great information on this topic.
I actually start 20 seconds into the recording – yes, I’m still working on this techy stuff. 🙂
Sign up for my Spring Cleanse & Motivational Self Care program today. The cost is less than a doctor’s visit and you have 2 weeks of yummy foods AND your own health coach. https://www.healthcoachmt.com/