Quinoa is a flowering plant in the amaranth family. It originated in the Andean Region of South America.
Quinoa is a gluten free ancient grain that is nutrient dense. These little seeds are power packed and an easy ingredient to include in salads and one dish meals.
Nutrient Benefits of Quinoa:
- Protein – contains all 9 essential amino acids that our body cannot make on our own and we need to consume in our diet
- High fiber – fiber helps the body maintain a healthy blood pressure, stabilize blood sugar and improve digestion
- Vitamins & Minerals – B vitamins, magnesium, potassium which help with hormones and kidney stones
- High in Antioxidants – boost immune system and slow down aging process
- Omega 3 fatty acids – assist cardiovascular system, joint pain, migraines
- Weight control – high protein & fiber boosts metabolism and feel full longer
Cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water. Heat to a boil, cover & simmer for 10-15 minutes. Voila’ Done!
Give the seeds a quick rinse before cooking to remove the outer bitter layer.Check out my simple quinoa veggie meal below.